Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day 6

Photo - Nostalgia




You know when you walk into a place it sometimes brings you somewhere else in your mind... The smell or a feeling can transform us, take us back to a time or place that we once knew. Well, every time I enter the staircase to my apt, my mind usually takes me to a beach house that my family vacationed to as a child.

I love going to the beach, I mean I grew up on one, but to vacation and stay right on the beach inches away from your toes in the sand, the sun kissing your face, falling asleep at night and waking up in the morning with the sound of waves coming through your window is one of the beautiful things life granted me two weeks out of the year growing up. As a kid I had a lot of stressful situations but the weeks we would stay at the beach all the pressures and fears would lift and I would truly get to be the kid that I wanted to be, happy.

Sandcastles, bodyboarding, endless seafood and cold cut sandwiches, beach umbrellas, water dunking fights w/ my brother, puzzles, putt putt golf and late night movies! I don’t remember everything during our family vacations in Sandbridge but two of my favorite memories usually come to mind when I step into the staircase, my first was when my mom, brother and I were eating ultra thin rolled up salami waiting on the stairs for my dad and rest of the family entourage to get there with the rental keys. My mom told us random made up stories, changing her voice and made faces, we laughed so hard as we sat there, in that moment I knew she truly loved the two of us. The other memory that comes to mind was when it started raining at the beach and after going to the movies all my brother and I wanted to do was go swimming, not wanting for us to go outside my dad brought our blow up pool inside and placed it in the kitchen, we got to splash around w/ all our cousins. I thought it was so amazing that we had an “indoor” pool. I mean most parents would say “tuff shit kid, watch tv or have another snack.” but not mine, “you want to swim?! Okay.” These weren’t any grand monuments, not situations which required a lot of money, these were moments of simple and true happiness that I love to look back on whenever I feel out of place because it makes me remember the world isn’t always a bad place. So everyday as I leave or come home I get a moment where I take a deep breath in and remember.


Today:
Song: Modest Mouse - Gravity Rides Everything
Quote of the day: “Dear Self, today you will Shine!”
Fav food consumed today: Victory Sandwich Bar - The Hambo, Choc chip cookie & Jn’C slushie
Craving: Fellini’s Salad
Drinking: Diet Coke
Random fact: Sometimes after a long exhausting or frustrating day or after shooting at the clubs, I sit in the parking lot of my apt and zone out to music or make up stories in my head while I sit in the car... weird maybe... but it brings me back down to earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment