Saturday, July 14, 2012

Day 11

Photo - Girls Rock



This has to be one of my favorite shoots of the year... For the past 3 summers I have taken 2 days out of my busy life to shoot Girls Rock Camp ATL. These kids are awesome and quite frankly I’m super jealous that I didn’t have this camp for myself as a kid. For a week girls aging from 8 to 16 come together and jam out, you don’t have to know how to use an instrument you get to learn, they form bands, band names, logos and write a song, at the end of the week they get on stage at Variety Playhouse and rock out to a crowd that eagerly awaits!

I love how these kids come together, how they take the world in... how they get to express themselves. Gay, straight it doesn’t matter they all hangout and make music and the importance of being a kid come to life! Most of these kids have rock n’ roll attitudes and others have that love to create something and as I take their photos I get a feeling of greatness. It is projects/jobs like this that make taking photos worth everything.

I hate that I can’t post them. I understand and know that they are kids but I love them because I truly feel some of the photos I take are the best ones I’ve ever shot. These kids breath life into the camera and are just as excited as I am and getting to know them and seeing that shine in their eyes is priceless. Hopefully I become a parent one day and if and when I do, I will find programs for my kids like this and push them to do whatever they’re excited about because you can’t sit on a couch and learn how to be you, you have to get up, get out and rock out whether it be off an instrument or with yourself!

Today:
Song: Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
Quote of the day: “Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second rate version of somebody else!” - Judy Garland
Fav food consumed today: Hotdog from my microwave NOM!
Craving: Sushi and fried rice
Drinking: Ice Aqua
Random fact: My Harmonica necklace that a lot of people comment on, I’ve actually had since I was about 5 years old! As a kid I had a lot of energy and my mom being a musician was picking up some items from the store, I of course was running all around and trying out every drum set and as any mom she couldn’t stand my ruckus so she told me I could have anything I wanted behind the counter as long as I didn’t move and was quite till it was time to go. I saw that necklace and shut up real fast, I would miss place it from time to time growing up but it has always found it’s way back!

2 comments:

  1. I REALLY wish you could share those pictures! I can only imagine!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They truly are great, the kids personalities really shine through! I'm only allowed to show them for perspective clients and personal portfolio.

      Delete