Monday, March 4, 2013

Day 3

Mixed Affairs



Last weekend I hit up the High Museum, I renewed my membership and wanted to get some inspiration for my brain... As I walked through I was enthralled... I don’t care if you see a piece 100 times, if you’re interested in it there’s always a way to view the piece in a new way and find something you haven’t noticed before... to connect with it in a different way... It had been awhile since I had been and viewing the newer exhibits made my wheels start turning from Frida to Thornton Dial. I couldn’t help but get ideas... Thornton is more of a Folk artist using materials around him and as I viewed his work I wanted to try something. He had this one piece (Green Pastures, pictured below) that had rags on a wire resembling birds... I stared at a lot of his pieces but I think in that moment I took this one in the most. To me there has always been something romantic, free and symbolic of birds and I wanted to create my own mixed piece so I started painting, cutting, pasting, hammering, sewing and getting my hands dirty.

I created a small cityscape using pages from a dictionary and built up layers of paint and sewing another scape onto of the newsprint. I am now working on the birds that will hang from a hemp wire tied off at the nails I hammered into the sides... part of me wants to make this a revolving piece that you view from all sides... because another piece that I connected with was a 3D structure showing a beautiful front view from the outside but as you walked around the piece there was destruction and darkness behind the walls which as much as I want to say everything in life is beautiful the truth is, it’s not and we all have our darkness that hides behind our own walls. So as I continue with this piece I will update you and show you the final product.


Thornton Dial - Hard Truths - Green Pastures

Today:
Song: Rihanna Feat. Future - Loveeee Song
Quote of the Day: "All truth is hard truth. We’re in the darkness now, and we got to accept the hard truth to bring on the light. You can hide the truth, but you can’t get rid of it. When truth come out in the light, we get the beauty of the world." -Thornton Dial
Fav Food Consumed Today: Chicken Biscuit
Craving: Steak n Potatoes
Drinking: Ice water w/ lemon
Random Fact: All those times where you see something that you like and think “I can make that...” I’m doing that I’m making someones idea my own with my own interpretations.

No comments:

Post a Comment